Monday, September 15, 2008

Close encounter to death

"Wake up! Wake up! We have reached Wild Wild Wet! It's time to swim like you have no tomorrow!" my sister exclaimed. "Huh?" I opened my eyes slowly, realising that we have reached our destination after a long 2 hours trip. It was the weekend, Mum and Dad brought me and my sister out swimming at Wild Wild Wet. We got out of the car chatting animatedly, imaginating what will it be like inside the "swimming paradise" which is the Wild Wild Wet.
A few moments later, after we had paid for the entrance fees, we went into the park. What we saw was beyond our imagination, there was a two storey tall water playground and surrounding it was a man-made river with strong currents carrying swimmers holding floats. My sister and I decided to go and play at the river first.
"Last one to reach there is a fat pig!" my sister exclaimed running towards the river. I followed her as fast as my legs could carry me.
Each of us took a float each and started waddling into the river. I could feel the strong current brushing through my feet. "See you!" my sister began floating on the river out of my sight. "Hey! Wait for me!" I hurriedly floated behind my sister.
The current was rapidly moving up and down. I was enjoying it until I realised my sister had disappeared. "Sis? Sis?!" I shouted, looking around frantically. Just then, I accidently toppled over my float and I struggled to keep afloat, "Help! I can't swim!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. I was about to drown soon- never to surface again, never to see another sunrise and sunset.
Out of the blue, a life guard appeared with a float and dragged me to shore. I coughed out water as I saw my sister running towards me. "What happened!?" my sister questioned the life guard. "She almost drowned." the life guard replied and he left.
My sister apologised to me for not taking care of me and hugged me tightly. This moment will be etched in our minds forever.

1 comment:

tsooc said...

Dear Geraldine,

Your beginning is interesting and the setting for the day was appropriate. You can also describe the author's thoughts and feelings and actions during the drowning. In addition, tell me how the author attracted the attention of the lifeguard in your second draft.